Dozens of insurgents eliminated in Kandahar
KANDAHAR (Pajhwok): Thirty-two armed rebels, including six suicide bombers, were killed and several others detained in separate operations in southern Kandahar province, officials claimed on Thursday.
During the outgoing week, police conducted 15 joint and 18 special operations in Kandahar City and districts, the deputy police chief, Col. Rahmatullah Atrafi, told journalists at the governor’s office.
During the operations, six suicide attackers and other 18 rebels were killed and six others detained. A rocket launcher, a heavy machinegun, six Kalashnikovs, a walkie-talkie, 40 landmines and six hand grenades were seized.
Atrafi said an individual had been arrested with seven kilograms of heroin and 28 kilograms of opium. One man was detained on the charge of murder and three others for alleged adultery.
Meanwhile, five more rebels, including a commander, were killed and a sixth wounded during a joint offensive by Afghan and international troops in Shah Walikot district, the governor’s office said.
Three Kalashnikovs, a heavy machinegun, a pistol, a walkie-talkie and a motorbike were recovered by security forces.
In addition, eight insurgents and a 14-year-old girl were killed as rebels stormed police check posts in the Soorbaghal area of Maiwand district.
The governor’s office said two organisers of suicide attacks had also been detained by police. It identified the men as Mohammad Husain from Quetta and Abdul Sattar from Panjwai district of Kandahar.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.