Security forces directed to curb Pakistani incursions
KABUL (Pajhwok): The National Security Council (NSC) on Sunday strongly condemned a recent surge in cross-border attacks, stressing better coordination among asking the security forces to curb such incursions.
At an NSC a meeting, chaired by President Hamid Karzai, the overall security environment after the runoff presidential election on June 14 came up for discussion, the Presidential Palace said.
Ministers of defence and interior, as well as the National Directorate of Security (NDS) chief, briefed participants on the situation. The defence minister voiced grave concern at escalating attacks by Pakistani troops dressed as civilians into Kunar province.
A statement from Karzai’s office quoted the minister as saying that modern arms had been used in recent attacks on the security forces in Kunar. The Taliban did not have such weapons, he added.
The group had stepped up attacks in Helmand and Nangarhar provinces, resorting to killing civilians, the ministers alleged. The security forces were asked to enhance coordination and move swiftly to curb the attacks.
The council reminded the security organs of their duty to forge greater coordination in ensuring the presidential runners’ safety.
According to the statement, the minister of interior was tasked with submitting a detailed report to next week’s meeting on an armed clash between the security guards of the Paktika governor and Balkh police.
The minister of refugees and repatriation of refugees updated the participants on the flow of refugees from across the Durand Line into Khost province. He said that the military operation in South Waziristan had been the cause of displacement of hundreds of families.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.