Sangin fighting spreads to 3 other districts
LASHKARGAH (Pajhwok): The ongoing fighting in the Sangin district of southern Helmand province has spread to three northern towns, officials said on Wednesday.
The four-day clashes in Sangin have resulted in heavy casualties among civilians, security forces and the insurgents. The fighting has also triggered the displacement of many families
Although gunbattles continued to rage in Sangin, security forces had been able to bring the situation under control, the governor’s spokesman, Omar Zwak, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
But the gunbattles have now spread to Kajaki, Musa Qala and Nawzad districts, according to the spokesman, who said more security forces had been deployed to Sangin.
Zwak said the clashes in Kajaki erupted when checkpoints of security forces came under attack from the militants. Nawzad and Musa Qala districts have also plunged in a similar situation.
Provincial Council Secretary Attaullah Afghan said the Taliban were striving to pave the ground for the smuggling of poppies from northern parts of Helmand to border areas.
A tribal elder from Sangin, wished not to be named, said the fighters had launched a coordinated battle. Food items, weapons and ammunitions are supplied to them through Kajaki district.
Public Health Director Dr. Enayatullah Ghafari said they had received eight bodies and 30 wounded people from Sangin.
A Taliban spokesman, Qari Yousaf Ahmadi, said a similar anti-government armed struggle would be launched soon in Marja district as well.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.