Naeemi vows support for displaced Waziristanis
KHOST CITY (Pajhwok): Governor Abdul Jabbar Naeemi on Saturday promised increased cooperation with foreign aid agencies in assisting Pakistani families who fled an ongoing military offensive from North Waziristan tribal region to southeastern Khost province.
Naeemi, who met elders from the displaced Waziristani families at his office, promised them that health and education facilities for children of the displaced families would be made available inside their camps.
A statement issued from the governor’s house said the visiting elders urged the Afghan government and foreign aid agencies to provide them with more assistance.
It said the authorities concerned had been directed to take practical steps for resolving problems in dispatching relief goods to the displaced families and other problems they faced.
On Thursday, a joint delegation of senior Afghan and UN officials visited the displaced families housed in a camp in Khost and promised them more assistance.
The delegation had said the refugee families were in need of food and non-food items, asking the Afghan government and the international community for cooperation in this regard.
Two days ago, traders in northern Balkh province distributed relief goods worth 10 million afghanis to the Waziristani families.
As many as 25000 families from Waziristan have arrived in Khost and Paktika provinces and so far only 4000 of them have been assisted.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.