Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Taliban urged to allow aid to displaced families

Taliban urged to allow aid to displaced families

Jul 05, 2014 - 17:03

LASHKARGAH (Pajhwok): The Afghan Red Crescent Societyinfo-icon (ARCS) on Saturday urged the Talibaninfo-icon not to prevent relief supplies to the displaced families from Sangin district of southern Helmand province.

The call was made by Asadullah Mayar, ARCS head in Helmand, while distributing relief items to the displaced families in Bolan area of Lashkargah, the provincial capital.

About 400 families have arrived from Sangin district to the Bolan area, where they stay in the open.

Mayar told reporters that the families were distributed flour, sugar, ghee tins, beans, tea, salt, tents and other items.

He said they had surveyed 500 families arriving from Sangin to Lashkargah, but those moving to deserts were yet to be surveyed.

Mayar said they had talked to the Taliban requesting them allow relief supplies reaching the displaced families.

Haji Mirza, one of the displaced persons, said wanted peace and stability because relief items could not resolve their problems.

Another displaced person, Haji Abdul Ahad, said the government should launch a full-scale operation in Sangin in order to bring the war to an end. He thanked the ACRS for supplying them some aid.

Deputy Helmand governor Ahmad Massoud Bakhtawar acknowledged clashes in parts of Sangin were still ongoing and feared more families could be displaced.

He said efforts were in place to resolve the issue.

The attacks, the most coordinated in year, began about two weeks again in various districts of Helmand, particularly in the strategic Sangin district.

So far more 100 insurgents, dozens of security personnel and civilians have been killed and wounded during the clashes.

On Thursday, Public Healthinfo-icon Minister Suraya Dalil visited the civil hospital in Lashkargah and said 380 people, including womeninfo-icon and children, brought to several hospitals across Helmand from Sangin with injuries were being provided better care.



Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update