Ex-rebels warn of return to militancy
KUNUDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): A number of rebels, who recently joined the government-initiated peace process in northern Kunduz province, warned on Tuesday of returning to the insurgency if their problems were not addressed.
Over one hundred former rebels staged a demonstration in front of the provincial peace council office, complaining they had been going without salaries over the past three months.
One the protestors told Pajhwok Afghan News they were working on various projects launched by the Ministry of Public Works but none of them had so far received their salaries.
Abdullah said: “We have suffered a lot but continue to work with the government. We have surrendered our weapons and chosen to lead a peaceful life. Now we are under threat from Taliban. We have no income sources.”
He said they would not have any other option but to join Taliban if the government failed to respond them positively.
Niamatullah, another ex-fighter, said that they were suffering from financial hardships because the ministry of public works did not pay their salary for months.
But Kunduz Governor Ghulam Sakhi Baghlani said had had met the protesters to resolve their problems. “I myself am observer for the projects where former rebels are working. I will contact relevant offices to pay their salaries.”
Wahidullah Rahmani, provincial peace council secretary, assured workers would soon receive their salaries. He said the peace council was responsible for providing job opportunities to the rebels who joined the peace process.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.