6 deminers killed in Herat attack
HERAT CITY (Pajhwok): Six Afghan deminers were killed, one injured and three others went missing following a Taliban attack on a convoy of Halo Trust, a mine-clearing agency, in western Herat province on Thursday, an official said.
The incident took place when the convoy was heading to a demining site in the Kaman area of Kohsan district early in the morning, police spokesman Col. Abdul Rauf Ahmadi told Pajhwok Afghan News.
Six of the deminers were killed in the attack and three others kidnapped, he said. Ahmadi added that police had launched a search for the hostages.
The Taliban have not commented so far on the incident. About a month ago, a deminer was killed and eight others were wounded in rebel attack in the Qarabagh district of southern Ghazni province.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.