44 residents, Taliban dead in Kunduz clashes (Video)
KUNDUZ (Pajhwok): Local authorities in northern Kunduz province said on Monday at least 20 civilians, including women and children, and 27 rebels had been killed in recent clashes.
Syed Sarwar Hussaini, the police spokesman, said scores of militants had sneaked into villages around the provincial capital a few days back to collect Zakat and Ushr. He alleged the militants killed 20 locals refusing to pay them and injured 10 others.
He told Pajhwok Afghan News that the casualties occurred during the past 48 hours. The dead included former Mujahidin commander Abdul Qadeer, he added. A joint operation has been launched in the area and so far 16 militants, including two of their top commanders, have been killed and six more wounded.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.