Pul-i-Charkhi inmates on hunger strike
KABUL (Pajhwok): About 500 prisoners held at the Pul-i-Charkhi jail east of Kabul have gone on hunger strike after they were granted no concessions in their jail terms under a recent presidential decree, some inmates claimed on Thursday.
Syed Rassoul, one of the striking prisoners, said the 500 inmates at the “Guantanamo block” had gone on hunger strike.
He said they would continue denying food until their names were included in the presidential decree.
Brig. Gen. Habib Khan Razwani, the prison’s in-charge, however, said only two inmates were denying food and wanted to be shifted to another block.
Rizwani said a commission had been tasked with reviewing cases of prisoners and the panel knew better which prisoner deserved concessions in jail terms.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.