47 insurgents perish in new operations
KABUL (Pajhwok): Forty-seven militants have been killed in fresh security operations in southern Helmand, eastern Nangarhar and northern Balkh provinces, officials said on Saturday.
Col Hazrat Hussain Mashriqiwal, the Nangarhar police spokesman, told Pajhwok Afghan News that Afghan Special Forces had conducted an offensive in the Kot district of the province.
Nineteen insurgents, including four of their commanders, had been killed and six others wounded, he added. In addition, heavy weapons and ammunitions were also recovered from the rebels.
Balkh police spokesman Col. Sher Jan Durrani said security forces were carrying out an offensive in Chamtal district, where four Taliban were killed and a number of others suffered injuries.
He said security forces recovered heavy weapons and ammunition during the operation in the mountainous area. However, the Taliban have not yet commented.
But the insurgent group said heavy losses had been inflicted on security forces during a bomb attack in the Albarz locality of Balkh.
In Helmand, officials of the 215th Maiwand Military Corps said 24 insurgents died and four others were wounded as a result of an ongoing operation, supported by airstrikes.
Lt. Col. Muhammad Rasool Zazai said 10 militants were killed in an air raid in the Kalakaz locality of Greshk district. The slain militants were riding a car to attack a security check-post.
Another five rebels were killed in an air assault when they were planting mines on a road. Nine fighters were and four others wounded in the Greshk operation, he confirmed.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.