11 civilians among 19 killed in violence
KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): Nearly a dozen civilians and eight rebels have been killed in separate incidents of violence in northwestern parts of the country, officials said on Sunday.
Eight fighters, including Qari Hayatullah, the Taliban military commission head, and notorious commander Toofan were killed during clashes with security forces in the Kinam locality of northern Kunduz province.
Police spokesman Syed Sarwar Hussaini told Pajhwok Afghan News that six civilians, including women and children, were killed and 10 others wounded when Taliban-fired mortars hit civilian homes in the area.
But, Hazrat Ali, a local resident, said 13 people, including civilians, were killed on both sides during clashes.
Elsewhere, two young men, including the nephew of Gen. Abdul Malik, were gunned down by unidentified attackers in the Shirin Tagab district of Faryab province.
Syed Luqman Gharik, the district chief, said the Taliban fled after security forces reached the area. The official said that bodies of the young men had been dispatched to their homes.
In Qaisar, the bullet-riddled body of a young man was found, said Abdul Jamil Siddiqui, the district’s administrative head.
Separately, two women were killed and a boy wounded in a bomb blast in Garziwan district. The slain women were returning from a graveyard, said Javed Baidar, the governor’s spokesman.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.