12 rebels killed in Takhar offensive
TALUQAN (Pajhwok): At least 12 Taliban insurgents have been killed and 15 others wounded during a military offensive in northern Takhar province, an official said on Monday.
The operation “Fatah” was conducted in Khwaja Ghar district, Takhar police chief Maj. Gen. Abdul Hanan Qataghani told Pajhwok Afghan News.
He said some areas of the district had been under threat from rebels and the threat had been subsided after the offensive involving security forces from Takhar and Kunduz provinces.
Personnel from national police, Afghan Local Police (ALP) and Afghan National Army (ANA) took part in the offensive, the police chief said.
Meanwhile, a resident of the district, Juma Khan, said Pul Momin and Bagh Shakor areas were Taliban’s strongholds. He hoped peace would prevail in the province after the two areas were cleared.
He lauded the offensive’s effectiveness but was worried about the return of militants after the withdrawal of security forces on completing the operation.
The Taliban are yet to comment on the Operation Fatah.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.