16 fighters eliminated in Logar offensive
PUL-I-ALM (Pajhwok): At least 16 insurgents have been killed in an offensive followed by air strikes in the Mohammad Agha district of central Logar province, a military commander claimed on Tuesday.
Gen. Abdul Razzaq Safi, commander of the 302nd Afghan National Army (ANA) Corps, told Pajhwok Afghan News the ground and air offensive was launched on Sunday night in Zarghon Khar area, where intermittent clashes were still underway.
Police chief Brig. Gen. Abdul Hakim Ishaqzai confirmed heavy casualties had been inflicted on rebels in the Zarghon Khar fighting. The district had been experiencing lawlessness due to the presence of local and foreign fighters, he added.
Resident Haji Fazlullah said area dwellers did not sleep last night because of intense gunfire and shelling from helicopters.
Militants have not commented on the fight. Mohammad Agha, situated at a 30 kilometres distance from Kabul, has been in grip of insecurity for several months.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.