18 militants killed in Wardak airstrike
MAIDAN SHAHR (Pajhwok): A NATO airstrike struck a militant hideout in central Maidan Wardak province, killing at least 18 militants, including a notorious commander, an official said on Saturday.
The air strike took place in Sibak area of Chak district on Friday night, the governor’s spokesman, Attaullah Khogyani, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
The dead included Mullah Qasim, a senior insurgent leader involved in several attacks in Wardak, he said.
The Taliban have so far not commented on the incident.
Separately, unidentified gunmen abducted a driver with a healthcare organisation along with the organisation’s vehicle in northern Faryab province.
The car and the driver of the Solidarity for Afghan Families (SAF) organization were seized by Taliban militants in Mughli area of Khwaja Sabzposh district, the district chief, Abdullah Masoomi said.
But a security official, wishing not to be named, said the driver was delivering medicine to militants because it was off day on Friday and he had not informed police about his journey to the area.
However, SAF director Dr. Mohammad Naim rejected if their driver was supplying medicine to insurgents. He said the driver was transferring some construction materials to their health clinic in Dawlatabad district when kidnapped.
He said they had lost contact with the driver and urged security forces to rescue him from his abductors.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.