18 more insurgents eliminated in Nangarhar clashes
JALALABAD (Pajhwok): At least 18 militants have been killed, 26 others wounded and four including three Pakistanis arrested during an operation in the Nazian district of eastern Nangarhar province, an official said on Thursday.
Police spokesman Col. Hazrat Hussain Mashriqiwal told Pajhwok Afghan News the operation was launched on Wednesday in Dwa Khuli, Lalmi and Lalmandoi areas of the district.
He said a soldier and 18 militants were killed and two security personnel and 26 rebels wounded during the operation. Four rebels three of them Pakistanis in women uniform were detained, he added.
The rebels had been involved in attacks in Dorbaba, Nazian and Achin districts, Mashraqiwal added, saying that 33 weapons and some ammunition were also seized.
Haji Guldad Khan, a tribal elder of Nazian district, said six civilians were also killed and another wounded in the clashes.
“Information suggests six civilians have been dead and another wounded in Barakhail area of the district. I do not have information of other areas because of communication problem,” Guldad said.
However, a Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid confirmed five rebels suffered casualties but claimed bringing down an Afghan National Army (ANA) helicopter.
He said Afghan forces searched some civilian homes and inflicted casualties on locals after the operation.
Ahmad Zia Abdulzai, the governor’s spokesman, said the offensive in Nazian was launched last Tuesday night and ended late on Wednesday.
He was unaware of civilian casualties but said 18 rebels and an Afghan commando were killed. He rejected the Taliban’s claim of bringing down the ANA helicopter.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.