19 suicide attack organisers nabbed: NDS
KABUL (Pajhwok): Nineteen organisers of suicide attacks and bombings have been detained by security personnel in different provinces, an official of the National Directorate of Security announced on Friday.
NDS spokesman Abdul Haseeb Siddiqui told a news conference in Kabul the security forces had foiled possible terrorist attacks with the arrests in Kabul and several provinces over the past week.
He said the suspects, who planned suicide bomb attacks in different parts of the central capital, had been under observation from police, army soldiers and intelligence operatives. They were identified and caught before reaching their targets.
Siddiqui claimed two suicide vests, a car packed with explosives, four mortar rounds, five anti-personnel landmines and three barrels of explosives had been seized from the detainees.
The spokesman said NDS personnel discovered two caches of weapons and explosives in Baghlan and Wardak provinces last week. A cache of arms belonging to the Haqqani network was found in Wardak.
The insurgents planned to shift the weapons and explosives to Kabul for terrorist attacks, Siddiqui alleged, saying 22 rocket and mortar shells had been recovered in Baghlan province.
After suffering successive defeats on the battlefield, the Haqqanis and their allies had lost the ability to engage in face-to-face combat with the country's security forces, he claimed.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.