21-member rebel group reconciles in Nangarhar
JALALABAD (Pajhwok): A 21-member insurgent group, including three commanders, has reconciled with the government in eastern Nangarhar province, a senior official said on Tuesday.
Deputy Governor Mohammad Hanif Gardiwal told Pajhwok Afghan News three insurgent groups and their commanders joined the peace process in Achin, Durbaba and Batikot districts on Tuesday.
He urged other rebels to shun violence and play their role in the country’s rebuilding.
Malak Nazir Baba, who heads the Nangarhar peace committee, said the 21-member group had been active committing terrorist acts in the three towns. He said the reconciling militants also turned in 18 different weapons.
Commander Noor Mohammad, who led his group in the Achin district, told Pajhwok Afghan News they would no longer participate in anti-state activities.
He claimed they were taken to Bala Hisar, a historic fort in Peshawar serving as the Frontier Corps headquarters, and were told that all Afghans were “wajib-ul-qatal (liable for death).
“When I returned (from Peshawar), I felt they were lying and decided to surrender. Now I want to serve my country and my people.”
So far 441 insurgents have reconciled with the government in Nangarhar through the peace committee.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.