2nd phase of Operation Bawar soon: official
KANDAHAR CITY (Pajhwok): A senior military official on Monday said the “Operation Bawar” had been successful in southern Kandahar province and the offensive’s second phase would be launched soon.
Planned by the Ministry of Defence as part of the “Operation Fateh,” the Operation Bawar is currently underway in Kandahar, Zabul, Uruzgan and Daikundi provinces.
Afghan National Army’s 205th Atal Military Corps senior official in Kandahar, Gen. Syed Waqif Shah Syedi, told Pajhwok Afghan News during an exclusive interview that the ongoing joint Operation Bawar had good results so far.
He said the offensive was focused on Kandahar’s Ghorak, Maiwand, Shah Walikot, Khakrez, Mianshin, Meezan and Panjwai districts and Zabul’s Atghar, Arghandab, Nawbahar Meezan and Uruzgan’s Chora and Daikundi’s Gizab and Kajran districts, where the presence of insurgents was felt.
ANA, police, National Directorate of Security and public order police personnel were taking part in the operation, he said.
So far dozens of insurgents had been killed and wounded, several roads cleared of landmines and rebel activities prevented in various areas as a result of the operation, the general said.
Giving an example, Gen. Syedi said the last week saw 46 militants were killed, 26 injured, 100 landmines detected and about 100 kilograms of explosives and some weapons confiscated.
Calling it a long-term offensive, he said areas cleared of rebels would be assessed every month and the operation would be carried out in areas where security threats were found.
Gen. Syedi said the second phase of the operation would be launched soon in order to extend the government’s writ to more areas.
He said the second phase was aimed at keeping roads leading to districts open and establishing security posts along the routes.
Gen. Syedi said the road between Kandahar City and Ghorak district was an important route, but people could travel on it due to security threats.
About the impact of the situation in Sangin district of neighbouring Helmand province on Kandahar security, the military official said all security organs in Kandahar maintained close coordination during operations.
He recalled when hundreds of insurgents attacked the Zherai district from Helmand, the rebels suffered heavy casualties during clashes with Kandahar security forces.
He said they had launched operation in Uruzgan’s Gizab, Charchino and other areas simultaneously with the operation in Sangin and Kajaki districts of Helmand in order to prevent the movement of insurgents.
The general assured that they would try during the course of the operations to protect civilians and do away with insurgent activities.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.