42 more rebels eliminated in new Dangam offensive
ASADABAD (Pajhwok): Forty-two Taliban militants were killed and several others wounded as a result of a newly-launched operation in the Dangam district of eastern Kunar province in the past 24 hours, an official said on Saturday.
Maj. Gen. Mohammad Zaman Waziri, the 201st Selab Military Corps commander, told Pajhwok Afghan News that security forces had made progress during the ongoing operation.
Eight bodies of Taliban fighters were found in Kantiwal area and handed over to local residents, he said.
Waziri said militant had been pushed back and several areas cleared from them. Two security personnel were killed and eight others wounded during the operation, he added.
But Taliban’s spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid rejected 42 fighters had been killed in the operation. He claimed 25 security officials were killed in ambushes in Dangam.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.