60 rebels killed & wounded in Balkh offensive
MAZAR-I-SHARIF (Pajhwok): Dozens of militants were killed and wounded during a three-day operation by Afghan security forces in a mountainous area of northern Balkh province, police said on Friday.
The joint operation by Afghan National Army (ANA) and Afghan Local Police (ANP) personnel was wrapped up on Friday in Alburz Mountains of Chamtal district, a senior police commander said.
Col. Abdul Razzaq Qadari told Pajhwok Afghan News that the operation focused on Alburz Mountains, Chashma Guzar and Qarawal areas of the district left at least 60 militants either killed or wounded. Most corpses of the rebels remained at clash sites, he said.
Qadari said he had no exact figures for casualties the militants suffered during the operation, but the dead included some senior insurgent leaders. He confirmed two security forces personnel had also died in the offensive.
But a Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid claimed 14 Afghan security forces men had been killed and 18 others wounded during the Alburz offensive.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.