61 militants killed in Kunduz offensive
KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): More than 60 insurgents, including foreign fighters, have been killed and dozens others captured alive during an ongoing operation in northern Kunduz province, security officials said on Saturday.
Launched a week ago, the joint Afghan forces operation codenamed “Shaheen 9” involves Afghan National Army’s special commandos, police and National Directorate of Security personnel.
Speaking at a press conference here, 209th Shaheen Military Corps commander in the north, Gen. Ghulam Haidar Haidar, said the ground and air offensive had so far resulted in the killing of 61 insurgents and the capture of another 47 in Gul Tapa and Char Dara districts.
He added more than 63 villages had been cleared of Taliban insurgents as a result of the operation.
He said foreign fighters Ghulam Hazrat, Qari Shafiqullah and commander Allah Noor were injured in an airstrike during the offensive.
Gen. Haidar said 16 police check posts earlier overrun by insurgents had been recaptured.
Kunduz police chief Gen. Ghulam Mustafa Mohsini said security forces would remain in the areas to keep the insurgents from staging a comeback.
He said there had been no causalities among local residents and security forces during the operation.
He said the operation was aimed at driving the Taliban from various areas, where their presence caused panic among residents.
There has been no word about the operation from the Taliban.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.