7 dead as suicide bombers storm Kunduz court
KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): At least seven people, including six prosecutors, were killed on Monday when a group of suicide attackers stormed the court of appeal in northern Kunduz province, exchanging gunfire with security forces for hours.
Initially, eyewitness told Pajhwok Afghan News the dead included three security guards and a civilian. They claimed hearing heavy blasts and gunfire in the area after five assailants in Afghan army uniforms entered the office around 1pm.
Latest updates from the provincial police spokesman Syed Sarwar Hussaini suggest the attack led to the death of six prosecutors and a policemen. A dozen people, including 11 prosecutors were wounded.
He said three suicide bombers, who were wearin military uniforms, attacked the building, with one detonating his explosives in the middle of the office, he said. A second bomber was wounded in a clash with police.
Hussain said the third bomber fought with security personnel after the site was surrounded by security forces. The fire exchange lasted at least three hours, he added.
As usual, the militants claimed responsibility for such attacks, with the group’s spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid saying 11 judges and 12 security personnel had been killed in the coordinated attack. He added the attack was conducted by two Taliban fighters Abdul Halim Laghmani and Mukhtar Zabuli.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.