8 including women killed in fresh violence
KANDAHAR/MAIDAN SHAHR (Pajhwok): Six insurgents and two women have been killed and a dozen others, including rebels and civilians, injured during separate incidents in Kandahar and Maidan Wardak provinces, officials said on Thursday.
In southern Kandahar, three militants were killed when the bomb they were planting on a road in the Maiwand district went off early in the morning, the governor’s spokesman said.
Samim Khpalwak told Pajhwok Afghan News three civilians were injured in a roadside bombing in the same district.
The rebels were blown up in the Karez area’s Akhunzada village, where they were planting the bomb to target security forces.
The blast that wounded the three civilians riding on a tractor took place two hours apart the first blast in the Regi area at about 9am.
Police shifted the injured civilians to the district hospital, Khpalwak said, adding insurgents had intensified planting roadside bombs in a number of towns including Maiwand.
He said the hidden bombs caused casualties to civilians in addition to security forces.
Landmine clearance operations have been underway in various districts and so far dozens of the improvised explosive devices (IEDs) have been detected and defused, the official said.
Meanwhile, police detained a rebel commander in the Kotal Morcha area of Kandahar City, the provincial capital in the jurisdiction of the 9th police district, the gubernatorial spokesman said.
He identified the detainee as Saad Mohammad, who led a 20-member insurgent group active against the government in Kandahar and neighbouring Helmand province.
In central Maidan Wardak province, security forces clashed with armed insurgents overnight in the Syedabad district, leaving three insurgents and two women dead.
The women were killed when two rockets hit civilian homes in the Yousafkhel area, the governor’s spokesman, Attaullah Khogyani, said.
Another two boys and four girls, including two minor, were injured in the rocket strike, he said, but had no information as whose rockets hit the residential buildings because both the sides used rockets.
He said the governor’s house had dispatched a delegation to the clash site to investigate the incident. He said three rebels were killed and as many were wounded during the clash.
But a resident of the area, Hashim, said one rocket from security forces and a second from the insurgents caused casualties among the civilians.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.