Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

9 dead, 22 injured in suicide attack at funeral

9 dead, 22 injured in suicide attack at funeral

Dec 01, 2014 - 11:48

PUL-I-KHUMRI (Pajhwok): A suicide bomber blew himself up during funeral prayers for a tribal elder in northern Baghlan province on Monday, leaving at least nine people dead, including a former jihadi commander and a district security official, and wounding 22 others.

Police spokesman Javed Basharat told Pajhwok Afghan News the attack took place in Burka district at around 11:00 am. The explosion occurred when people gathered for the funeral prayers. He confirmed the casualties.

Qudratullah Wafa, a former provincial council member, confirmed the killing of district security official Shah Muhammad and former jihadiinfo-icon commander Pahlawan Din Muhammad.

Local police cordoned off the site and no one was allowed to go close to enter the area. Taj Muhammad, the Borka district chief, said that two policemen were also among the dead.

The bomber on foot detonated his explosives among people who were attending the funeral ceremony. Preliminary reports show nine people, including two policemen, the Baghlam police chief said.

Dr. Shah Mohammad Hofiani, the provincial hospital spokesman, said 22 injured including four policemen had been evacuated to healthinfo-icon facilities in Pul-i-Khumri and Nahrain district. He said four civilians were in critical condition.

He added nine dead bodies including the corpses of two policemen had also been brought to the hospital. Local officials blamed Talibaninfo-icon for the attack, but the group did not react immediately.

Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Abdullah Abdullah, meanwhile, strongly condemned the attack and said that the perpetrators wanted to undermine efforts of security forces for stability. 

“The enemies of Afghanistaninfo-icon today once again caused mourning and grief to dozens of families and proved they don’t even spare mourners,” the CEO said in a statement

Last week, a suicide bombing during a volleyball match in southeastern Paktika province killed 60 people, including children, and wounded 80 others.


Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update