Afghan forces launch offensive in Dangam
ASADABAD (Pajhwok): After days of attacks, Afghan security forces on Thursday launched operations against militants in the Dangam district of eastern Kunar province, officials said.
Two leaders of the uprising group were killed on Wednesday when clashes between heavily-armed militants and villagers entered a fourth day in Dangam district.
The uprising group in the district had been seeking government support against the insurgents for the last four days but security forces arrived on the fifth day.
Inayatullah said that Afghan security forces were moving forward without any obstacles and pushing militants back. Maj. Haroon, spokesman for the 201st Sailab corps, said Afghan forces had secured control of all check-posts. Nine militants perished in attackes on their positions, he added.
Haji Muzamil, a local, confirmed security forces had arrived in the area to fight against the anti-state elements. However, the locals were still besieged by insurgents and the security forces had yet to reach to the fighting site, he added.
Five locals were killed and 40 others wounded in the five-day long fighting, he said, adding the militants had torched 40 houses of locals.The Taliban claimed blowing up several check-posts of and inflicting heavy casualties on Afghan forces.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.