Aziz reported out of context: Pakistan
KABUL (Pajhwok): The Pakistani government on Tuesday clarified national security advisor Sartaj Aziz had been reported out of context. Aziz a day earlier told BBC Urdu that Pakistan was not going to target militants posing no threat to the state.
“The advisor made the statement in a historical context,“ Foreign Office (FO) spokesperson Tasneem Aslam said in a statement.
Aziz’s remarks drew harsh criticism from political rivals and on social media. “As for [the] present, Pakistan has launched operation Zarb-i-Azb and taking action against all groups without any distinction or discrimination,” Aslam said in the statement.
She added Sartaj Aziz's interview with BBC's Urdu service had created confusion in the official stance of the country. Pakistan’s policy and actions should be seen in the light of its commitment in fighting terrorism in all forms and manifestations, she added.
Aziz had said that Pakistan should not target militants who do not threaten the country’s security. “Why should America’s enemies unnecessarily become our enemies,” he said.
“When the United States attacked Afghanistan, all those that were trained and armed were pushed towards us,” the adviser had said, adding that some of the militants were dangerous for Pakistan and some were not. “Why must we make enemies out of them all?” he added.
It comes when Chief of Army Staff Gen. Raheel Sharif was on a visit to the US and operation Zarb-i-Azb commander Major General Zafarullah Khan had recently stated that the military was targeting all local and foreign militants.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.