Civilians among 5 dead in Kunduz, Faryab violence
KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): Three people were killed and two others wounded as result of a clash between local commanders in Khanabad district of northeastern Kunduz province, an official said Thursday.
Police spokesman Col. Sayed Jahangir told Pajhwok Afghan News that the clash took place between illegal armed groups of commanders Hassan and Hakim.
It could not be immediately confirmed what led them to armed clash but Khanabad police chief said the incident was being investigated.
An official in the district wishing anonymity said the clash erupted as a result of personal feud on Wednesday evening.
Two supporters of Hassan were killed and the commander was wounded, he said, adding that a supporter of Hakim was also killed and another wounded during the clash.
Members of provincial high peace council said that more than 200 people including civilians had been killed during clashes between illegal commanders in the past few years in Kunduz.
According to the council, nearly 3,000 illegal armed are operating in Khanabad district of the province. Security officials repeatedly said they had plan to disarm illegal armed men but the plan yet to be executed.
Elsewhere, two Taliban fighters were killed and six others wounded in a clash with security officials in the Pashtonkot district of Faryab province.
Abdul Qadeer Qadir, the town’s administrative chief, told Pajhwok Afghan News the clash erupted when insurgents stormed security forces’ check-post in the area.
Taliban have not yet commented on the incident.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.