Court moved against graft-tainted Uruzgan officials
TIRINKOT (Pajhwok): Dossiers detailing corruption and other charges against six government officials and a contractor were produced before a court in central Uruzgan province on Wednesday, an official said.
Prosecutor Fazl Sultan Safi told Pajhwok Afghan News the charges had been framed against Education Director Ihsanullah Nasher, Rural Development Director Eng. Mohammad Hashim, former Dehrawud mayor Abdul Manan, three other officials and a contractor.
“The education director misappropriated 1.9 million afghanis, the former district mayor 9.2m afs and similar amounts were embezzled by the remaining individuals,” Safi said of the charges.
The remaining four accused include two education department officials, one rural development department employee and a contractor.
To a question, Safi said: “We have investigated their dossiers and produced them before the court, which is to decide their fate.”
The governor’s house confirmed corruption charges against some officials were being investigated by the provincial attorney’s office.
Education Director Ihsanullah Nasher once again rejected the allegations. He said his case was referred to the court as a result of his refusal to pay bribes.
“I have committed no corruption. The school project in which corruption is claimed was completed six years ago. Some attorneys sought kickbacks, but I refused,” he alleged.
Pajhwok tried to seek comments from the other accused, but did not succeed. There has been no reaction to the charges from the remaining accused.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.