Cut in additional police force for Nuristan ruled out
KABUL (Pajhwok): The acting governor of eastern Nuristan province on Monday confirmed an additional 850-member police force would continue to ensure security in the restive region.
In an exclusive interview with Pajhwok Afghan News, Hafiz Abdul Qayyum said the police force approved for the province would keep serving residents of the volatile province.
“We have 1,900 policemen in Nuristan and an additional corps of Afghan National Army (ANA). I have talked to President Ashraf Ghani, who reassured the strength of the force will not be cut,” Qayyum added.
Earlier, the Ministry of Interior had expressed reservations about the Nuristan police strength, indicating a retrenchment due to fund paucity. He warned if the force was cut, the security situation would be affected.
He stressed the need for measures to raise the number of security forces in the province to control law and order. The governor said: “The fighting in Dangam district of Kunar has also had a bad impact on security in Nuristan.”
The Nuristan highway, he added, had been under Taliban’s control for the last nine years and a security offensive should be launched soon to clear the route for traffic.
In the not-so-distant past, the governor recalled, Nuristan officials would live in neighbouring Nangarhar and Kunar. “But now they are living here following a marked improvement in security.”
He urged the president to appoint a new governor who should build close coordination with the local people to improve security and develop the province.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.