Eloped girl dead after taking poison
KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): The girl died instantly and her fiancée has been discharged from hospital after initial treatment in southern Kunduz province after they eloped from Kabul to tie the knot, a doctor said on Friday.
Dr. Abdul Qadoos Miakhel told Pajhwok Afghan News that Waheed 22 and Lail 19 fled Kabul for Kunduz to marry and the pair was living in Imam Sahib district for days.
Waheed and Laila were living with their relatives in the district but all in a sudden both decided to take poisonous substance to get rid of the tense situation. The girl died on her way to hospital but the boy was shifted to hospital in a state of coma, he added.
After initial treatment, Waheed had been discharged from the hospital, he said. “I was in love with Laila for nine years but Laila’s parents did not allow her to marry me despite repeated requests from my parents,” Waheed told reporters at the hospital.
Laila family’s approach forced them to flee Kabul and live in Imam Sahib, he recalled. “We spent three days with our relatives and then we preferred to take poison to avoid the wrath of our families,” he recalled.
Sayyed Sarwar Hussaini, police spokesman, said that police had started investigation into the incident.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.