Ex-governor accused of spurning presidential orders
FARAH CITY (Pajhwok): The Khak-i-Safid district chief in western Farah province, who was appointed by the former president, has not been allowed yet by the ex-governor to start his duty.
An investigation by Pajhwok Afghan News reveals Khuda Dad, the acting district chief, has been receiving only 4,700 afghanis in monthly salary.
An amount of 40,000 afghanis ($700), which a district chief is supposed to draw in monthly pay, has been still going to the former district chief, Abdul Khaliq.
Dad said he was appointed seven months back by Hamid Karzai and Independent on the recommendation of the Directorate of Local Governance (IDLG).
But he has been unable to date to take full control of his office. “When I took my documents to former governor Mohammad Omar Sherzad for final confirmation, he told me I should take his advice before assuming office.”
As a result, the district chief complained, he could not assume charge so far. The double whammy is that he is not being paid his salary in full.
IDLG also sent Khuda Dad’s appointment letter on June 28, 2014 to the governor’s house and a copy of it has been made available to Pajhwok Afghan News.
The letter says: “Based on IDLG’s suggestion, Khuda Dad -- son of Mohammad Sharif -- has replaced Abdul Khaliq -- son of Janan -- as acting district chief for Khak-I-Safid…”
It adds the IDLG and Independent Commission of Administrative Reforms are responsible for processing the appointment of eligible candidates within three months.
Khuda Dad alleged the former governor was trying to prevent him from taking office. “I am being forced to look after the governor’s house correspondence in the district.”
When he shared the issue with IDLG, it sent letters to the governor, who was asked to let the appointee start his duty. “But the governor did not pay any attention to the directives,” he claimed.
Khuda Dad insisted his appointment was based on the suggestion of local residents because he could better address their problems.
Sherzad, who was accused of embezzlement and causing a huge loss to the government exchequer, was sacked by the president on January 18. Pajhwok tried to contact him, but failed to do so.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.