Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Faryab clashes displace hundreds of families

Faryab clashes displace hundreds of families

Feb 02, 2015 - 18:14

MAIMANA (Pajhwok): Nearly 1,000 families fled homes after one civilian was killed and 20 others were wounded during ongoing clashes in the Qaisar district of northwester Faryab province, officials said on Monday.

Launched four days ago, an operation by Afghan National Army (ANA) personnel had so far resulted in several clashes with insurgents, the district chief, Abdul Jamil Sadiqi, told Pajhwok Afghan News.

Civilians suffered casualties after heavy weapons hit their houses during clashes. He said more than 800 families had moved to Qaisar and Almar district centres and some to Maimana, the provincial capital.

However, provincial council head Syed Abdul Baqi Hashimi put at nearly 1,000 the number of families fleeing homes from Nahrain area of Qaisar. He said the displaced families were in dire need of assistance.

“We left behind all our belongings to save our lives,” one of the displaced persons, Abdul Qudus, said. He moved to the center of Qaisar district along with his eight-member family and currently lived in a house having no roof. Qudus asked the government to help them.

Deputy Governor Abdul Sattar Barez said a joint commission of security organs, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and other relevant organizations had been created to assess the condition of the affected families.

He said they had enough aid, which would be distributed to the displaced families after a short survey. ANA officials had previously claimed killing 20 insurgents, including two foreigners, during the ongoing operation in Qaisar.



Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.



Twitter Update