Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

IWA: Most donors fail to publish project details

IWA: Most donors fail to publish project details

Oct 09, 2014 - 20:20

KABULinfo-icon (Pajhwok): Integrity Watch Afghanistaninfo-icon (IWA) on Thursday said most donors had failed to publish information about their funds and donations given to Afghanistan over the past 13 years, hindering efforts at transparency.

IWA Executive Director Syed Ikram Afzali told reporters in Kabul the lack of information about foreign aid had been preventing organizations monitoring and auditing projects to ensure transparency.

He said most of the donors had failed to publish details of their funding, indirectly paving the ground for non-transparency in their funded projects.

He said 69 countries had vowed to publish details of their aid before 2015, but only a few fulfilled their promise.

The watchdog released a report detailing hardships in transparency and accountability of foreign funded projects over the past 13 years.

The IWA report said work on 60 percent of 1,000 construction projects in 30 districts had not been completed and financial resources embezzled.

Afzali said due to non-availability of statistics and information about projects, expenses on some projects remained unknown.

The IWA official said around 100 billion dollars had so far been invested in Afghanistan, with the Kabul administration spending 20 percent only. The rest, 80 percent, had been spent by foreigners themselves, he continued.

Afzali said IWA had monitored more than 100,000 developmental projects with the help of locals, but the lack of documented information about corruption always harmed its mission.

He said IWA had contacted foreign countries for information on funds spent in Afghanistan, but failed to receive it.

IWA was established in 2006 as an independent civil societyinfo-icon organisation to help the government maintain transparency spending funds through observation and investigation. 



Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update