Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Kunduz offensive ends with killing of 130 rebels

Kunduz offensive ends with killing of 130 rebels

Sep 10, 2014 - 15:32

KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): Local officials said on Wednesday a month-long operation in the Chahar Dara district of northern Kunduz province had ended with the killing of 130 insurgents, with the Talibaninfo-icon still flexing their muscles.

The Shaheen 2 operation was conducted jointly by Afghan National Army (ANA), Afghan National Police (ANP), National Directorate of Security (NDSinfo-icon), Public Order Police and Afghan Local Police (ALP) to flush out militants from Chahar Dara district.

Maj. Gen. Ghulam Mustafa Mohseni, the provincial police chief, told Pajhwok Afghan News 130 insurgents were killed and 80 others wounded during the operation.

A number of dreaded Taliban commanders, including Mullahinfo-icon Afzal, Mullah Sultan, Abdur Rahim and Mullah Shah Wali, were among the dead, he added. About 40 villages were cleared of militants and 15 security posts established.

Security officials said that foreign fighters, including Pakistanis and Chechens, were supporting Taliban in fighting against Afghan security forces in the district.

However, Brig. Gen. Janullah Safi, commander of the 209th Shahin Military Corps, confirmed 24 Afghan security forces also suffered casualties in the operation.

“We have deployed fresh security personnel to the newly-established check-posts. The fresh security men are professional enough to foil attacks,” he said.

But a Taliban spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid rejected the claim and said they still active in the area. In an email to Pajhwok Afghan News, Mujahid said heavy casualties had been inflicted on Afghan security forces.

Local officials did not say about civilian casualties in the operation. But according to Pajhwok reports, two civilians were killed and 25 others wounded in the clashes. Both sides blame each other for civilian casualties.

Residents appreciated the operation and asked the displaced families to return as the situation had become normal.

Niamatullah, a dweller of Chahar Dara district, said: “Earlier, the Taliban used to come back after Afghan forces ended operations but security forces have now built posts to keep the militants at bay.” He said some 300 residents had been displaced from the area due to the offensive.




Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update