At least 8 dead in hours-long Kapisa clash
MAHMOOD RAQI (Pajhwok): At least 16 people suffered casualties after a group of militants ambushed a security forces’ convoy in the Tagab district of central Kapisa province, officials and residents said on Tuesday.
The convoy was heading to Alasai district when came under attack from insurgents in Anar Joy and other areas of Tagab on Sunday, sparking a gun-battle that stretched into Monday evening, the provincial police chief said.
Brig. Gen. Khwaja Faqir Ahmad Sediqi told Pajhwok Afghan News two Afghan National Army (ANA) soldiers were killed and as many injured during the attack that also included bomb blasts.
He said some civilians and the attackers had also suffered casualties, but they had no exact figures. He said the insurgents also torched the house of the district’s administrative head.
A resident of the area, Attaullah, told Pajhwok Afghan News three civilians had been killed and four others, including women and children, injured as a result of the hours-long clash.
He said the injured had been taken to hospitals in central Panjsher province and Kabul. The resident said three militants were killed and as many were injured in the skirmish.
A Taliban’s spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, said more than 10 security personnel were either killed or wounded in the group assault.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.