MoD procurement head rejects graft charges
KABUL (Pajhwok): Ministry of Defence (MoD) Procurement Department head Gen. Abdul Rahman Ghori on Monday denied corruption charges against his department.
Two senior MoD officials have been suspended and barred from leaving the country following $215 million embezzlement in an oil procurement contract with a foreign firm.
Speaking to reporters, Gen. Ghori said the person who had raised the issue of $215 graft was keen on obtaining the same contract, but failed to do so because he arrived late on the bidding day.
Six companies had registered to obtain the contract, but representatives of four firms did not appear in the bidding process.
Gen. Ghori said the contract had been processed by the Afghanistan Reconstruction and Development Services (ARDS) and Ghazanfar Group, Aros, Wasi Faqiri and Nawi Paiman companies took part in the bidding.
But presidential spokesman Nazifullah Zalarzai had said the issue of misappropriation was brought into the notice of the president by NATO and SIGAR officials. A case had also been filed with the department concerned, he said.
He said President Ghani had assigned a commission with probing graft issues in other contracts and had also ordered the suspension of current contracts and advised new bidding.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.