MoI urges new govt to strengthen security forces
KABUL (Pajhwok): Hailing achievements the Afghan forces made over the past 13 years, the Ministry of Interior (MoI) on Saturday said the incoming government should give priority to further strengthening their capability.
Speaking at a news conference here, MoI spokesman Siddique Siddiqui said the country’s development was not possible without security forces, urging the new government to pay special attention to their improvement.
He said Afghan forces had been dealing with hard challenges during the past decade, when they received proper support from President Karzai’s government for receiving training and equipment.
Siddiqui hoped the next government would also make efforts at further strengthening the security forces.
He said police had adopted tight measures for president-elect Ashraf Ghani Ahmadzai’s swearing-in ceremony salted for Monday.
Training commander at MoI, Mashooq Selab, said the Afghan police had significant achievements in terms of strength and capacity-building in comparison with the past.
Foreign forces are expected to leave Afghanistan by the end of 2014 and only 10,000 American soldiers may stay on if a long-delayed security pact is concluded between Kabul and Washington.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.