More than 40 renounce militancy in Ghor
FEROZKOH (Pajhwok): More than 40 militants, who joined the peace process in Ghor province, said on Monday they had been forced into fighting by the government’s indifference toward reconstruction and security.
Local officials say the two groups, led by Mohammad Azim and Ghulam Nabi, had been fighting against the government in the Murghab area on the outskirts of Ferozkoh, the provincial capital.
The men, who surrendered with 32 weapons of different types, had joined the reconciliation efforts and promised to help strengthen security in the area, local officials said.
One of the surrendering men, Mohammad Shah, accused the government of paying no attention to the security and development of their area. As a result, they resorted to an armed struggle, he said.
He added they had been involved in anti-state activities for about 13 years in several villages of Murghab. Now that they have joined the peace process, the government should ensure their safety, health and education, according to Shah.
Acting Governor Syed Anwar Rahmati hoped the former militants’ surrender would help restore peace in the province. “I’m committed to their safety and integration into the mainstream society…”
Meanwhile, Ghor Peace Committee head Kamaluddin Maududi also promised support for those joining the peace process.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.