Nearly 100 killed in Nangarhar, Uruzgan clashes
JALALABAD/TIRINKOT (Pajhwok): Dozens of insurgents, mostly Pakistanis, have been killed during separate security operations in eastern Nangarhar and central Uruzgan provinces, officials said on Thursday.
Six local policemen and 73 insurgents were killed during days of an ongoing operation in the Durbaba district, Nangarhar police spokesman Hazrat Hussain Mashriqiwal told Pajhwok Afghan News.
A majority of the dead insurgents were Pakistanis whose bodies remained in the area, he said. “Police are advancing amid resistance from insurgents. The provincial police chief and other security officials are in the frontline,” he said.
Dozens of insurgents were injured as well and a large quantity of weapons both light and heavy seized, said Mashriqiwal, who promised further details once the operation was wrapped up.
Nangarhar governor’s spokesman Ahmad Zia Abdulzai said five security personnel were lost to the ongoing clashes in Durbaba.
The Taliban have so far said nothing about the operation.
In Uruzgan, officials said 20 rebels were killed and as many injured during a week-long operation in the Gezab district. The district police chief told Pajhwok Afghan News the operation was still ongoing. So far one Afghan army service member killed and four others wounded. Two policemen have also been injured, he said.
The police official alleged the insurgents had killed an elderly man in the area on the charge of spying for the government.
A taliban spokesman, Qari Yusuf Ahmadi, claimed several posts had been captured and a number of security personnel killed and wounded during clashes in Gezab.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.