Nuristan governor denies Doab district fall
JALALABAD (Pajhwok): The governor of eastern Nuristan province on Thursday denied losing control of Doab district to Taliban, saying 10 militants had been killed in ongoing clashes.
A day earlier, the Taliban launched attacks on the district centre and several security posts. The intense fighting prompted news reports that the district had been captured by militants.
But Governor Hafiz Abdul Qayyum told Pajhwok Afghan News the district remained under the government’s control. He spurned the media reports as propaganda.
He said Doab was located between mountains and security forces were stationed on mountaintops. The Taliban are also operating on some mountaintops on the outskirts of the district.
At least 10 militants were killed and 13 others wounded during the clashes so far, he said. A policeman was also killed and three others were injured.
However, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid claimed they had captured Doab and currently the guerrillas were inside the district headquarter.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.