Our lives are at risk, say flood victims
SHIBERGHAN (Pajhwok): Flood-affected families living under tents in northern Jawzjan province warned on Thursday the winter had put their lives at risk of disease and death.
They complained the government did not give them aid. Six months ago flash floods killed 68 people and damaged more than 200 houses. The families are still living under the tents.
Abdul Manan, a resident of Qush Tepa district, told Pajhwok Afghan News that 25 people had died in the area and his family was living under tents without enough food.
“I don’t know why the government has forgotten us. Local authorities take all aid only to Do-Koh district. If the government did not pay attention to us in the winter, our children will die,” he added.
Mohammad Zarif from Darz-Ab district said it had been six months since the floods ended but they did not receive any aid. He also complained about lack of potable water.
Abdul Rahman Mahmoodi, deputy governor, said they were doing their utmost to deliver relief aid to the affected families in winter.
“We are in constant contact with authorities in Kabul and have sent them letters also.” Mahmoodi added because of the insecurity on the highway some aid agencies were reluctant to go affected areas.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.