Paghman arson assault a terrorist act: Daudzai
KABUL (Pajhwok): Interior Minister Muhammad Umar Daudzai informed legislators on Wednesday that torching of hundreds of NATO supply trucks in the Paghman district of Kabul some weeks back was a terrorist act.
Four policemen had been held on suspicion of having hand in the incident, the minister told the Wolesi Jirga -- or lower house of parliament. Around 400 tankers were burnt to ashes when a huge fire engulfed the truck parking lot in Paghman.
Briefing the Wolesi Jirga, Daudzai said he was ready to tender resignation the day the Paghman incident occurred but President Hamid Karzai did not agree with him. “I’m speaking on an issue involving terrorism,” he told the house.
A high-powered committee, probing the assault, would soon make its report public. After the decision by his ministry, a note had been dispatched to Mirwais, the Paghman district administrator, to ensure security of the area.
But the administrator said security of the area was responsibility of the Interior Ministry. Five people had been detained in connection with the incident, he said, adding Mirwais had fled and efforts were on to arrest him.
Jamal Abdul Nasir, a senior ministry official, said seven tankers were damaged in eight months when the area security was in the hands of the public protection department.
Siddique Ahmad Usmani, the first deputy speaker who chaired today’s session, said the officials concerned would be summoned again to the house after the probe into the incident was completed.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.