Paghman incident: Death penalty sought for accused
KABUL (Pajhwok): The Attorney General Office (AGO) on Saturday said it had submitted the dossiers of seven detained individuals allegedly involved in the widely condemned gang rape case to the Supreme Court, recommending capital punishment for all the accused.
The AGO earlier said it had sought capital punishment for four accused and life improvement for the remaining three in the documents submitted to the apex court.
The gang in police uniform has been accused of depriving passengers of their valuables and sexually abusing four women after intercepting vehicles on the main road in Paghman. Seven people allegedly involved in the incident have been arrested.
The incident drew strong condemnation from the Afghans, with some calling for the accused to be hanged in public. President Hamid Karzai in a statement had also called for execution of those found guilty.
AGO spokesman Basir Azizi told reporters in Kabul they had completed their investigation from the detainees and had shared the findings with the Supreme Court.
He said 10 people in total were involved in the Paghman case and seven of them had been arrested so far. Due to evidence available against the accused, the AGO had recommended death penalty for them, he added.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.