Plainclothes gunmen worries Khost residents
KHOSTCITY (PAJHWOK): The number of gunmen in plainclothes is on the increase with each passing day in southeastern Khost province, residents complained on Tuesday.
One resident of Khost City, Hafizullah, expressed concern over the issue. He said the gunmen were involved in armed robberies and attacks on Afghan forces.
A shopkeeper, Muhammad Ismail, said they had to close shops early and open late because of the illegal gunmen in the city.
Khost police chief, Brig. Gen. Faizullah Ghairat, said such armed men had been part of private security firms, which had been dismantled.
He said they had evolved a joint plan with other departments to detain such individuals and confiscate their weapons. “Illegal gunmen are banned and a special department tasked to deal with them.”
He said police had taken measures against vehicles with tinted glasses to improve security in the city and the process of obtaining arms licences had been made tough.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.