Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Police chief denies district’s fall to Taliban

Police chief denies district’s fall to Taliban

Aug 22, 2014 - 12:09

QALAT (Pajhwok): Rejecting the Talibaninfo-icon claim of capturing the Nawbahar district of southern Zabul province, a top security official on Friday said a full-blown offensive was underway to uproot rebels from the area.

Earlier, the rebels said the district had been under their control since last night. The group’s spokesman Qari Mohammad Yousuf told Pajhwok Afghan News the fighters had been locked in intense gunbattles with security forces for nine days.

Heavy casualties had been inflicted on security forces, he said, adding that dozens of military vehicles had been seized by militants as a result of the battle for the district.

But Brig. Gen. Ghulam Sakhi Rogh Lewanai, the Zabul police chief, rejected the Taliban’s assertion, saying Nawbahar district’s administration had been moved to a new building and the government remained in control of the town.

Militants, he said, were carrying out occasional attacks on the old building, which were repulsed by his forces, he added. The militant claim was baseless and unfounded, he insisted.



Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update