Rebels’ infiltration into north blocked: Weesa
MAZAR-I-SHARIF (Pajhwok): A military commander on Monday said they had blocked militants’ infiltration into northern Afghanistan, where search operations have been launched.
Gen. Zalmai Weesa, the 209th Shaheen Military Corps commander in the northern zone, told Pajhwok Afghan News the search operations were underway in nine provinces.
He said Taliban militants, backed by foreign intelligence agencies, were trying to mount pressure on the new government. The insurgents have intensified attacks in Kabul and other major cities to terrorise Afghans.
“The Afghans have realised that the armed insurgents are puppets in hands of foreign spies and Afghan forces have been trying bravely to frustrate Taliban’s designs to enable the country to take solid steps toward stability.”
The commander said the 209th Shaheen Military Corps were responsible for security of nine northern provinces from northeastern Badakhshan to northern Faryab province. He said the military had blocked infiltration of militants to the northern zone.
He said security in Badakhshan and Kunduz had recently improved and the two provinces had been relatively insecure previously.
Gen. Weesa said search operations against insurgents were successfully underway in various parts of the zone.
He said a large number of militants had been killed and wounded in Jurm district of Badakhshan.
The dead included Taliban’s shadow governor for Badakhshan and their two military commanders, he said.
He said they would share achievements of the ongoing operations in Kunduz and Baghlan provinces with media once completed.
Weesa also talked about operations against militants in the Albarz Mountains of northern Balkh province, saying so far two military commanders among four insurgents had been killed and explosives and ammunitions seized.
As part of these operations, he said, security forces detected and defused dozens of landmines on a daily basis, saving innocent lives.
To a question, he said, another goal of the operations was to pave the ground for the upcoming parliamentary elections. He recalled the provincial council elections and the two rounds of presidential polls passed off peacefully due to efforts by security forces and cooperation of common people.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.