Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Rebels have no excuse to fight on: Kunaris

Rebels have no excuse to fight on: Kunaris

Oct 23, 2014 - 20:03

ASADABAD (Pajhwok): Happy over foreign troops’ withdrawal from eastern Kunar province, residents on Thursday said the insurgents were left with no excuse to continue fighting.

A day earlier American troops transferred their last base to Afghan counterparts in Topchi area near Asadabad, the provincial capital, and withdrew from the province bordering Pakistaninfo-icon.

Tribal elders and religious scholars from Asadabad and districts held a gathering here and urged the insurgents to shun violence and join the peace parleys.

Ulemainfo-icon Council head for Kunar Maulviinfo-icon Abdul Rahman said all foreign troops had left Kunar and questioned the rebels whom they would fight now.

He urged the Talibaninfo-icon to give up insurgency and join the peace process and called on tribal elders to support national security forces.

Another speaker, Maulvi Abdul Aziz, asked security forces to make efforts at winning the hearts and minds of the people they served.

He said the High Peace Councilinfo-icon should extend its activities to districts since foreign troops had left.

Tribal elder Haji Mohammad Rozi said foreign countries should no longer be allowed to impose a war on Afghans.

“It is the duty of every tribal and religious leader to extend support to our security forces in defending the country and foiling aliens’ designs,” he said.

Peace Committee official Mohammad Ismail Munib said the insurgents had been left with no excuse for continuing their war.

He said all foreigners had left and Afghan security personnel were the sons of the soil. “Our region is insecure due to interferences by our neighbouring country, which does not want us to live in peace.”

He called upon the people to practical steps toward bringing peace and stability to the country.

Acting Governor Shujaul Mulk Jalala Khan said all foreign troops withdrew from Kunar on Wednesday, transferring their equipment to Afghan counterparts.

He said the Americans had carried out reconstructioninfo-icon projects worth $400 million in the province.



Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update