IS recruiter killed in Nangarhar operation
JALALABAD (Pajhwok): An Islamic State (IS) group leader has been killed during a military operation in the Batikot district of eastern Nangarhar province, the Afghan army said on Tuesday.
Officials said 64 suspects were also detained during the operation conducted last night by the 201st Selab Military Corps, but they were released after no charges could be established against them.
The corps said in a statement the operation was carried out by Special Forces Unit in Batikot, where the IS leader was killed and the suspects detained. It said the detained individuals were handed over to the district’s intelligence department.
Batikot district chief Haji Ghalib told Pajhwok Afghan News the operation was conducted at about 11pm in the district’s Barikab and Ali Khel areas. The IS leader, Abdul Rahman alias Osman, was killed during the operation, he said.
He said the slain IS leader had been recruiting local residents for the group, which controls large swaths of land in Iraq and Syria.
“The slain IS leader was actual resident of Kunar province, where he lived in Kama district. He migrated to Batikot district to recruit people for the IS,” he said, adding the IS leader hurled a hand-grenade at the troops during the operation.
The district chief said those detained were local residents and they were released after an investigation.
The Taliban have so far said nothing about the incident.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.