Registan police chief killed along with 5 guards
KANDAHAR CITY (Pajhwok): The police chief for Registan district of southern Kandahar province was killed along with five colleagues during a clash that left seven insurgents dead on Saturday, an official said.
Acting spokesman for the Kandahar governor, Dawa Khan Minapal, told Pajhwok Afghan News that reports indicated up to 20 insurgents had carried out the attack on security posts.
He said the clash lasted several hours, with both sides suffering casualties. He confirmed the Registan district police chief, Bismillah, had been killed along with his five bodyguards.
He said Kandahar police chief Gen. Abdul Razaq had launched an operation against insurgents after reaching the town.
Minapal said the operation had so far resulted in more casualties among the rebels and was successfully underway.
Elsewhere in the province, hundreds of armed militants staged an attack on the Zheri district, but police repulsed the attack, keeping the district headquarters from falling into the hands of insurgents.
Security officials said about 250 armed militants attacked the district and were pushed back after police reinforcements from nearby Panjwai district reached the scene.
Panjwai administrative head Haji Fazl Mohammad Ishaqzoy told Pajhwok Afghan News the insurgents first entered Maiwand district and then Zheri after suffering defeat in the Sangin district.
He said they had prior information about the attack and had informed security organs in this regard.
He said the attacks initiated by the insurgents continued until 4pm and the rebels were about to overrun some security posts but they were forced into retreat after reinforcements from the Panjwai district arrived at the battlefield.
Security officials confirmed the insurgents had been pushed back. They said one policeman and one Afghan National Army soldier were killed and five soldiers were injured during the clashes.
Wolesi Jirga member from Kandahar and influential figure in the Zheri district, Attaullah Habib, said the attacks in Kandahar were the extension of the battle in Sangin district of Helmand province.
He said insurgents had recently increased their attacks and had captured so far a number of security posts. Both sides had suffered casualties during the clashes, he said, but gave no figures.
The lawmaker said additional security forces should be sent to Zheri and other districts in order to prevent such attacks.
Minapal also confirmed insurgents had intensified their activities in a number districts lying close to the Durand Line.
However, he said security forces were ready to deal with the attacks and operations were underway in several areas.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.