Residents rally against Ghor massacre
At least 15 civilians were shot dead by gunmen on July 25 after they were disembarked from a bus in Padgah locality on the outskirts of Ferozkoh, the provincial capital.
Local officials held Taliban responsible for the attack, a claim which the outlawed group rejected. The victims were common people, including five members of a family. They were travelling to their homes to celebrate Eid with their relatives.
Angry residents staged a protest demonstration, blocking the Ghor-Kabul highway for hours and demanding the destruction of militant hideouts in the province.
The demonstrators chanted against the government, saying they would not accept false promises and continue to protest until the perpetrators were brought to justice.
Mohammad Sadiq Yousafi, a provincial council member, said the hideouts of the Taliban who were involved in the killing of 15 civilians, were known to everyone. He asked the government to destroy the sanctuaries.
Munshi Abdul Majeed, President Hamid Karzai’s advisor and head of a delegation probing the incident, promised the arrest and punishment of the perpetrators. He also provided cash compensation to the victims’ relatives.
Security officials say Taliban commanders Qari Rahmatullah, Mullah Farooq, Mullah Zarif and Taj Mohammad had been complicit in the killing of the innocent people.
Police chief Brig. Gen. Ahmad Fahim Qaim said police had been in search of the killers and would try to capture them as soon as possible.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.